Wharton’s Office of Gift Planning provides philanthropic services to donors like you, for whom philanthropy is an important part of life. Our goal is to help you integrate your charitable intentions with your overall tax, estate and financial plans. While you don’t give just to save on taxes, it’s a welcome benefit. We collaborate with you and your advisers to ensure that your philanthropy not only maximizes the benefit of available tax incentives, but also creates a lasting legacy, helping you to make a difference in areas important to you both today and for future generations at Wharton.
Every new planned gift strengthens the programs in which you invest and ensures that the Wharton School remains the world’s preeminent business school — one prepared to tackle the pressing problems of the 21st century and to improve the lives of people around the globe.
Select a gift plan below to learn more.
Deferred Charitable Gift Annuity
Charitable Gift Annuity
The Impact Annuity
Penn Donor Advised Fund
Charitable Lead Trust
Charitable Gifts Through Your IRA
Charitable Remainder Trust
Gift Planning Calculator
- Gift Annuity: In exchange for your gift to charity, you or 1-2 other annuitants receive a fixed sum each year for life.
- Deferred Gift Annuity: In exchange for your gift to charity, you or 1-2 other annuitants receive a fixed sum each year for life starting at the date of first payout.
- Charitable Remainder Unitrust: Your unitrust pays a fixed percentage of its value, determined each year, to you or others you name for life or a term of years. The remaining assets then go to charity.
- Charitable Remainder Annuity Trust: Your trust pays a fixed dollar amount each year to you or others you name for life or a term of years. The remaining assets then go to charity.
- Pooled Income Fund: Your gift is pooled in a fund with gifts from other donors. You or others you name receive your gift’s share of the income the fund earns each year for life. Your gift’s share of the fund then goes to charity.
- Retained Life Estate: You deed your home or farm to charity, but retain the right to live in it for the rest of your life, a term of years, or a combination of the two.
- Charitable Lead Unitrust: Your unitrust pays a fixed percentage of its value, determined each year, to charity for a term of years or one or more lifetimes. The accumulated assets then go back to you or others you name.
- Charitable Lead Annuity Trust: Your trust pays a fixed dollar amount each year to charity for a term of years or one or more lifetimes. The accumulated assets then go back to you or others you name.
Ways to Give
Can’t find what you’re looking for? Contact The Wharton Fund at +1.215.898.7868 or email@example.com
The University's fiscal year is July 1 - June 30. Penn's Tax ID/EIN is 23-1352685.
▼ Give Online
▼ Give by Phone
Call The Wharton Fund at +1.215.898.7868
▼ Give by Mail
Make checks payable to: “The Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania”
Please include your name (and your spouse’s name if applicable), affiliation(s) and how to allocate your gift (ex. The Wharton Fund).
Wharton External Affairs
Suite 500 FMC Tower
2929 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104
For FedEx, UPS, and DHL Deliveries Only
Wharton External Affairs
Suite 300 FMC Tower
2929 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104
▼ Gifts of Cash
Cash gifts can be made by check or charged to a credit card.
Charitable gifts of cash are deductible up to 60% of the donor’s adjusted gross income in the year of the gift with any balance carried forward up to five more years. In valuing any charitable gift for tax purposes, the donor must reduce the gift amount by the fair market value of any goods or services received from the charity.
Wharton’s Fiscal Year is July 1- June 30.
▼ Donor-Advised Funds or Private Foundations
Recommend or direct gifts through donor-advised funds or private foundations.
Penn’s Tax ID/EIN is 23-1352685
Make donations payable to “The Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania”
Designate gift to The Wharton Fund.
▼ Bank Wires
Send your gift via a bank wire to:
Wells Fargo Bank N.A.
420 Montgomery Street
San Francisco, CA 94104
Account Name: The Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania – Gifts Accounting
Reference: Name and Affiliation (example: Susan Lee, WG’99)
For Domestic Wires and ACH’s
ABA Routing #: 121-000-248
For International Wires Only
SWIFT CODE: WFBIUS6S
▼ Appreciated Securities
The transfer of stock from a donor to Wharton is a fairly simple transaction. Morgan Stanley serves as the University’s main brokerage firm. You will need to work directly with your broker to complete a transfer form and initiate a transfer of stock to the University of Pennsylvania. If you hold the certificate, it is best if those certificates remain unendorsed and you complete a separate stock power form authorizing transfer of ownership from the donor to Wharton.
▼ Charitable Gifts Through Your IRA
The Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes Act of 2015, has extended the IRA Charitable Rollover permanently. The extension allows individuals age 70½ and older to donate up to $100,000 from their IRAs to The Wharton School tax-free. You do not receive an income tax charitable deduction. This provision allows you to transfer money from your IRA directly to Wharton, without having to recognize the transfer as taxable income. You should consult with your tax advisors about your specific situations.
The sample letter can be used to send to your IRA plan provider.
▼ Matching Gifts
Don’t miss the unique opportunity to increase the impact of your giving through a matching gift program. To find out if your employer participates and learn more about how to apply a match to your Wharton Fund gift, visit Penn’s matching gifts database. Most matching gifts are made by companies employing Wharton alumni, including:
- Johnson & Johnson Corporation
- Goldman Sachs
- And many more
For more information concerning the Matching Gifts Program, you can call +1.215.898.5069 or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
▼ Giving from Outside U.S.
If you live outside the United States and are considering a gift to Wharton, please visit Penn’s Giving from Outside the U.S. website. If you are a taxpayer in one of the following areas, please visit our country-specific giving pages before making your gift as your contribution may qualify for tax benefits in your home country.
▼ Planned Gifts
Planned gifts can be made through bequests, unitrusts, life insurance, pooled income funds, and real estate. If you are interested in learning more about planned giving opportunities, call +1.215.898.6171 or click on the link below.